Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Green

I've decide I have a favorite color, It's Green. I like most shades of green except 70's avacado.
I realized I have some form of green in almost every room of my home. In th 90's it was hunter green, Now it's sage, teal, and some other shades. I have at least 3 rooms painted in shades of green, and the others have green accents. Green is a very calming color, it also seems clean to me.

Here is some info on Green:
Life and Renewal: Green is life. Abundant in nature, green signifies growth, renewal, health, and environment. On the flip side, green is jealousy or envy (green-eyed monster) and inexperience.
Nature of Green: Green is a restful color with some of the same calming attributes of blue. Like blue, time moves faster in a green room.
Culture of Green: Green is the national color of Ireland and is strongly associated with that country. Because of all the green in nature the color is reminiscent of Spring. Coupled with red it's a Christmas color.

More on the color green here:
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/colorselection/p/green.htm

From Wikipedia:A green room is a room in a theater, studio, or other public venue for the accommodation of performers or speakers when not required on the stage.

The first recorded use of the term was in 1701 but the origin of the term is unknown and is the source of many folk etymologies such as:

  • In some explanations it is said that the colour was a response to limelight – early stage lighting.
  • Green is also thought to be a calming and soothing colour but this is according to 20th century psychological theories so can not be the origin of the term.
  • The most widely accepted origin of the term dates back to Shakespearean theatre. Actors would prepare for their performances in a room filled with plants and shrubs. It was believed that the moisture in the topiary was beneficial to the Actors' voices.
  • Richard Southern, in his studies of Medieval theatre in the round, states that the acting area was "The Green". The central space, often grass-covered, was used by the actors, while the surrounding space and circular banks were occupied by the spectators. Since then "The Green" has been a traditional actor's term for the stage. Even in proscenium arch theatres there was a tradition that a green stage cloth should be used for a tragedy. The green room is thus the room on the way to the green.
  • It has been suggested that the original 'green room' was in a London theatre converted from office buildings. The room behind the stage had previously been used to cut deals and was known as the 'agreeing room,' and the phrase has become corrupted over the years.

I'm also realizing that Green is also a verb. Hollywood is going green (Meaning Eco-friendly).
I'm Green with envy (meaning jealousy). I'm feeling a little Green (meaning sick).

Oh and btw, I hate green vegetables.

Even though Green can have some negative meanings (jealousy & sick & Vegitables) I still love it. I think everyone should give it a "green light" and have a "green room" and "go green".
Your neighbors will be "green with envy", and may feel a little "green" because of it. For now, I'll try and eat my "greens".

ttfn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol Margo! This is so funny...we are linked! We were feeling "green" today...and that is good! I loved your "green" information...now "eat" something "green" today...lol!

Rosemary said...

Hi Margo,
Thanks for the nice comments on my blog today!
Very interesting information about the GREEN! I think I have some green in every room too.
Have a great day!
Rosemary

Nicole said...

That's funny! :o) lol

I'm more of a blue person myself. And burgandy too, I guess. I think I have a bit of those colors in every room. Funny how that works, isn't it?!
~Nicole

PAT said...

Hi, I've just found your blog, through Garden Antique News! I'll be visiting often!

I enjoyed your green post and will scroll down, to see more of your great blog!

Pat
Back Porch Musings

Blog Widget by LinkWithin