Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New Flea Market Belt

I just wanted to show you a small project I've been working on. I decided I needed a new "flea market bag" I usually carry a hip bag, but it always makes me feel fat and with winter coming on, makes me look pg under a coat. So using one of Ki's projects, I saw in a past issue of Country Home. I went to Home Depot and picked up one of their simple canvas tool belts for 77c dressed it up with some fun fabric, added some vintage trinkets and there you have it.

I've made one of these before, but it was different in that It had no flaps. I always felt like my stuff was going to work it's way out, so I added flaps to this one, and to keep the flaps closed, I installed magnets, and the metal trinkets stick to the magnets, holding the flap secure.

I would, of course, do some things different if I were to make another. Like use a prettier thread around those magnets. I may still go in and do that.
Now my stuff is secure while I Hunt for Junk.

Just an FYI if you DIY. I used the really strong Rare-earth magnets, not your usual craft magnets for this project. I also, basically, disassembled part of the the belt, to stitch in the fabric properly and then re-stitched the belt back together. Also, make sure your trinkets will stick to the magnets, before you stitch them in place. Brass and Aluminum won't stick.
If you make one, send me a pic.
Margo

10 comments:

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

I saw that idea in Country Home and have been wanting to try it. I love the addition of the flaps and magnets. Great ideas!

Nicole said...

Too cool! Love it!

BTW... Caleb would LOVE for you to use the pic of his lamp! ;o)

Vickie said...

How clever! I like the fabric you picked out - it's bright and has lots of color. I love the flap idea. Are you sure this belt has big enough pockets for you and all your junk??? :) Vickie

TinaTx said...

Turned out super cute! Are you going to give it a work out this weekend?

Anonymous said...

That is super cute! Velcro would also work great in place of the magnets. Let us know how it works out for ya!

Simply Me Art said...

Really Cute Margo.. wonderful Idea too..

csudderth said...

OK-you must be feeling more rested. You're thinking about junking again!
Christy

WhisperWood Cottage said...

You are just too talented!

Sue (Vintage Rescue) said...

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, so now I will!

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea and I have of these I picked up at a yard sale for 10 cents each. I think I have some funky fabric to try to make one. I also wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your sale and came home ready to create somthing new. I will have to post some pictures of what I picked up at the garage sales this weekend. Again you have truly inspired me.

Thanks Suzanna Villasana

Blog Widget by LinkWithin