Monday, June 11, 2007

Clutter Wars


My DH and I have very different decorating styles. While he loves Frank Lloyd Wright, clean lines, stained wood and absence of Clutter. I love chippy paint, lots of stuff, etc. So we've struck a balance, Our home is not really cottag-y, mostly because we don't have a lot of painted furniture. Most of our furniture is stained oak, most of our colors are deep fall colors (which I like) and I don't have as much "stuff" out as many of my counterparts. My home is definitely not "girly", all of which is somewhat of a compromise on my part. The other day DH said he was learning to live with the clutter, to which I was "chin on the ground" because I keep it pretty clutter free. But I realize that he would have even less "stuff" around, so I guess I'm grateful for his part of the compromise. I still get the blank look when I tell him an idea and he says "your going to do what??? well OK." Then he ends up liking it. A good example is the framed found object collage' I did on the wall (see post below). I just told him to expect a change in the near future. I didn't tell him what I had in mind, and I avoided the "look". When he got back in town he said he actually liked it. Success!!!!

I guess that is what marriage is, a series of compromises, and surprises.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

That's ok Margo, I get that look sometimes too. Then they usually end up liking it.
Rosemary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin