Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Project-Old Table new look



Over a year ago I found this great old oak desk (I say desk because it has 2 drawers) at an estate sale. The price was great and so I snapped it up.

We brought it home, and DH decided to start stripping the finish to re-do it. I thought it was fine as it was and would have just rubbed it down with some Howards wax and called it done.

Before long we realized that this table had been finished with some kind of steroid varnish that was about 1/8" thick and nothing would budge it without lots and lots of work. We tried scraping, chemicals, sanding etc.



So it sat in the barn for a year collecting dust.

Last week I decided that I was going to paint the top and rub the bottom with Howards and if DH didn't like it I would sell it. So I got started.

First I roughed up the remaining finish with the belt sander, and softened some of the edges where we had been able to strip finish and where we had not.

Then I began to put a coat of paint, only on the top. I'll be doing a distressed technique to it next.


I forgot to get a true before pic so this will have to be it. I had already started with the paint.

Right after this my allergies kicked in and it got cold and wet outside. So things slowed down, but I am making progress. More pics tomorrow. Needless to say, DH loves it now :)

This is only the beginning of my painting technique.
I'll be showing it step-by-step all week.

6 comments:

Tami said...

Looks like a fun project...can't wait to see it finished!!

Vee said...

And I'll be watching because my main dining table is a fright show. I'm sick of it. The wood is awful and I've been thinking paint for some time.

Anonymous said...

Love the color that you chose - I bet that is going to be BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't wait to see it!

Starla said...

Margo
Your booth at Our Little Corner is adorable. I stopped in there today and saw your stuff right away, front and center. Looks great!

Vickie said...

That's a nice sized table, and I do like the color you're painting it. I think I will like that the legs are still wood stained and the top painted. I've seen several tables that way.

I hope you're feeling better soon - you gotta feel better for Warrenton!!!

red.neck chic said...

I am laughing.... "steroid varnish"... now I can't stop laughing!!! Whenever I get my tail feathers in gear and start stripping my dining table you DO realize that I'm going to be giggling and think of you the whole time, right? LOLOL

I can't wait to see it all finished up! I like that paint color!!!

;-) robelyn

p.s. - feel better soon... we've got some fields to tear in to!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin