Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Independence Day


I'll start with a quick Independence Day project.

As I looked around my house today, I realized that I just had no signs that July 4th was upon us. So I opened my bag of tricks and happened to see 6 mini flags in there. and low and behold there were 2 old bed springs just waiting to be married.

This project is so quick and easy, it's embarrassed to be called a project.
Simply stick the flags in the spring and you are done. For a little added bling, I threw down some left over new years horns and I'm done.

Now that's the kind of holiday decorating I can get into :)


I put a little more effort into my Our Little Corner display this month.
I love how the old aluminum Christmas branches look like sparklers. I'll be putting those in plants outdoors for when out friends come over to blow stuff up later tonight or tomorrow.

Now I'd like to reflect on the meaning of Independence Day.

Independence day is more than Hot Dogs and a day off of work. It is a day that we look back at the wisdom and courage of our country's founders. They went up against amazing odds to create this country. Not to mention risk, every signer of the Declaration of Independence was risking penalties of Treason. That penalty was to be Drawn & Quartered. If you don't know what that is, I'm not gonna tell you, but I will say it's not a pleasant way to die.

The people who followed and who settled in this land were a special kind of people. They left their comfort zones to venture out into an unknown place to make a new life. That takes courage, strength & perseverance. And that is where we come from. The blood of these ancestors runs through our veins and makes us strong. For me I have the blood of courageous Irish, Scotch, German, Welsh $ Cherokee ancestors within me. I Thank them for their sacrifices and their courage. We can have this day to celebrate with family and friends because of what they did, the vision they had. Happy Independence Day to everyone

Now a few quotes from those wise Founding Fathers

"We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

A lady asked Dr. Franklin Well Doctor what have we got a republic or a monarchy — "A republic," replied the Doctor, "if you can keep it."

"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God." Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
-Thomas Jefferson


5 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Hope you have a great 4th!

Vee said...

Thank you, Margo, for your words today.

Wonderful project...easy is always more fun!

A happy 4th of July to you and yours.

trash talk said...

Fantastic post. I just read an e-mail detailing what happened to some of the signers and it wasn't pleasant.
I am so proud to be an American and feel so blessed that this is where God placed me.
On another note, cute idea with the flags. I love the idea of tree limbs for sparklers. Way to think on your feet girlie!
Debbie

Lisa Johnson said...

Margo - fabulous! Thanks for the reminder of what the 4th is all about. I love the flags-in-the-bedsprings idea. Only you would come up with a project that includes bedsprings that just happen to be lying around, I had to chuckle. Pointing out the truly unique inspiration you are to all of us and why your ideas help us think outside the box!
Lisa (One of the Tyler contingency at Judy Hill's)

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Margo,great post. I love your little project,looks good together . Wishing you and your a safe and happy 4th of July.

Blessings,Shelley

Blog Widget by LinkWithin