Sunday, August 23, 2009

Junking Adventures-The One that Got Away



When I started this blog I had a goal of sharing my "junking adventures". Although this is not exactly and "adventure" is is a story to share.

I went to a garage sale on Thursday. This lady was not quite ready for us, and was still putting things outside. She said we were free to look around inside (storage shed) but that not everything was for sale.
I inquired about an old little sterilizer cabinet that was on a shelf. She said it was not for sale.
I picked up a few things and was almost ready to leave when her daughter arrived. I jokingly said "do you think you can talk your mother into selling this?" She said, "Oh That's mine, I guess I'd sell it". Well of course I was doing the happy dance inside, but remaining quite calm on the outside. I asked about the price and it was VERY reasonable and so I paid the daughter, and drove away with my happy prize. I cleaned it up and displayed it proudly in my guest room

It was the perfect shad of weathered robin-egg blue, with a great label "Sterilizer" on the front, and chippy shelves inside.

On Sunday evening, I was sitting down preparing a blog post about my find, at that exact moment my cel phone rang. When I answered, a voice on the phone explained that I had been to her sale and bought something that should not have been sold. I had to ask her to remind me which item, and she told me it was the little green cabinet. She explained how it had belonged to her father and was to go to her grandson. Of course I made arrangements to get it back to her and she'll be picking it up from me on Monday.

I am sad to see this treasure go away, as I was looking forward to how I'd be using it. But I guess it's an heirloom and feel bad for causing her any worry.

That is my little junking story for this week. I guess after years of this one would have quite a few interesting stories to tell.
Have a great week everyone.

10 comments:

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Margo,I guess that will be your story about the one that got away(smile). Very sweet of you to cooperate with them in asking for it back...
It is a very unique little cabinet...atleast it was yours for a short time....
Have a blessed week....

Jill said...

I'm glad you willingly gave it back--although hard I'm sure!

Vickie said...

Hi Margo - I think I went to that sale, too, on Thursday afternoon. I saw that cabinet, too, and me and another lady inquired about it. The woman was adamant that it was NOT for sale. Must have been before you got there... oh well, I hope that little boy treasures it!

Tina said...

From reading your blog, one thing I've learned is that part of your love for junking is that there is a history and story attached to each treasure. How nice of you to get this back to them.
Blessings,
Tina

Lisa said...

What a neat little cabinet, I am sure with all your junkin adventures you will be blessed in finding something just as great. So nice of you to return it to the family. I know you made her day.

Debi said...

Oh Margo dear,
How sweet of you!! I am sad to hear that it is the one that got away... but I am sure the grandson will LOVE to have it!!
I have been doing some catching up reading your blog... Keep up the inspiration! Love yours!!
Debi xo
http://suttongrace.blogspot.com/

Nancy @ Ella Elaine said...

I am glad you snapped a picture before you sent the cabinet back. The color was so fabulous.
Oh, well. Maybe something even better is out there for you...

Anonymous said...

Hi Margo!
I identify with the happy dance when you find something you love. My husband will usually hush me down. Don't you wish they didn't have the little treasure out? I would have been very disappointed. Sooo nice of you to give it back. I bought an antique desk for 16.00 about 10 years ago. I left it at the place so I can come back with the truck. Upon my return the owner informed that he have find out it was an antique worth much more. He wanted 2 extra six packs of beer! I gave him the extra money and left puzzled at the things that people will do. Crazy, I would have want my desk back, not beer. Anothar one will come your way, you will see. Marta

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I think I felt your pain. I've had one of those in white , peachy pink and a jadite green but have never seen one in that beautiful blue. I hope he'll treasure it. Sue

Recaptured Charm said...

That's a terrible loss! What a gorgeous find it was.
Well I'm sure you made her day, by getting it back to her.
Lesson learned: Never give out your cellphone number!! ha!

Lisa

Blog Widget by LinkWithin