Sunday, December 5, 2010

Batch Processing

"Batch Processing" is a term used in the office and computer world. Basically it means that your process a job in batches instead of one at a time. It's the philosophy behind the Assembly Line.

In my world I do a lot of Batch Processing. For example when I make my Faith Necklaces. I rarely make just one. I might sit down and do 5 or 6 at a time. Or when I go to do a painting job or a soldering job. I might save them up and do them all at once.

I love batch processing. It allows me to "put off" a job until I have "enough to do" so it make my procrastination sound like efficiency. :)

There are some things that one just can't "batch process". Like decorating for Christmas for example. I'm really admiring these folks that do up the whole house in grand style, but I just can't. It take all I have to get the tree up. I've since added some bits here and there as seen in the pic above of my ever changing yearly non-flower arrangement. This year I added the tree toppers to it.


I do enjoy looking at all of your decorations and ideas, so keep em coming. But I think I'm gonna cut myself some slack regarding "decking my halls" this year.

How do you work, Do you Batch Process or do you tackle stuff one thing at a time?








7 comments:

Debbie P. said...

I'm with you! I decorate a little at a time, mostly so it doesn't overwhelm me. And then hopefully by the time Christmas is here, it's either all up or I've given up, thinking "why bother just to take it down in a week or two".

But I do love looking at everyone else's decorations!

Gracie's Cottage said...

Well,I always think that I'll batch process, but I have a tendency to get distracted in the middle of my 'batch', start something else, and never finish anything.
(Just like right now - I'm editing a batch of photos, but had to run off to blogland for a few moments...)
:D

Numinosity said...

I'm totally a batch processor or into doing "production work". I seem to be a batch buyer too. I never just by one of something for a project. i'll buy as many as possible for the bulk deal.
xoxo Kim

Sueann said...

I do a little at a time as well. First the mantel then the dining room, etc., etc.
I have yet to do the tree...though it is up. I am having tree block. Ha!! Hopefully it will pass!!
Love your curly wire tree!
Hugs
SueAnn

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Hi Margo, at least you've started on the inside. My decorating stopped at the front door on the porch. Have a great week, T

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Morning Margo....!

Oh YES....Batch processing is FORSURE the best 'procrastinators tool' in the box....hahahahaha....I pull it out often so can definitely relate to THAT ONE....!!

I can ALSO relate to your thoughts on decorating for Christmas....I'm in AWE of all those LOVELY blogs I've visited where EVERYTHING is out already.....!!

We were supposed to get our tree on Sunday but we were running behind....We won't be able to get it until this Saturday now & I won't have it PROPERLY decorated for at least a week after that....YIKES....hahahahaha....But I do SO LOVE how our place looks when it's 'done'....!!

Cheers for now Lovey,
Tamarah :o)

Vee said...

I go at it slowly...it took several days to get the tree up and it will be a work in progress until the day it comes down. Some rooms have minimal decorating. I mean just one little thing.

Batch Processing is a term I wasn't familiar with...I've always called it "Assembly Line."

Just enjoy it and if you're not enjoying it, quit.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin