Friday, January 10, 2014

The art of camouflage

My youngest son has officially moved out, but he left behind this fabulous mural of his name in Japanese.
 I just couldn't paint over it, but it does not go with my decorating style.
 So what to do???? Instead of paint I decided to Camouflage.

 I simply covered it with vintage survey maps. It took 3 maps to cover his artistry.
 Then I moved a sleeper sofa (also camoflaged with a slip cover) into the room and a few other misc pieces I had here and there, including a recliner from the attic, and voila!
 It's now a guest room/sitting area without much fuss, and zero dollars.
 I actually really like this space, because It's not over decorated, and has a sense of calm and quiet to it.
I don't know how I will eventually use this space, and I didn't want to put a lot of money or effort into it right now. 
On the other side of the room is a table and chair for a computer and his old mini fridge.  It's almost like a mini hotel suite. I'm slowly getting the closets cleared out etc. 
 I'm sure at some point I'll paint this room but for now this solution works just fine. And in case you are interested, I have lots of these maps available in my etsy store here.

I've also used the full color, pull down maps, in similar ways in other rooms of my house.




This one is my favorite. So colorful and still on it's roller.
                                 Fun Solution for a large space that you don't know what to do with.

4 comments:

Nancy @ Ella Elaine said...

Love it!I have never thought of that as camo. You reminded me of when my mother use to come over to my house and say, "How do you dust all of this?" I would just reply,
"I don't dust, I just add more stuff!"

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

BRILLIANT solution Margo....LOVE what you've done with the space....!

Diane in the Valley said...

Nice! It's hard to watch them go isn't it? But on the other hand, you have a great new space!

Susie Q said...

I sent that Texas map to Japan with my daughter when she went as an exchange student.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin