Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Barkcloth projects



 I love vintage Barkcloth and I especially love the retro designs.

 Used mostly for curtains, you can still find large panels of barkcloth at estate sales and antique stores. I recently picked up 3 nice sized panels and began looking for projects for this lovely pattern.  Here are a few, common and unusual projects I tried, or found on line.

 Dress up an old dress form, with some groovy barkcloth scraps.


Laminate   an old school chair that has seen better days. 
See before and after photos at the end of this post.


Use mod podge to decoupage some old trays. For instructions look here.

 
Cover some shoes, See here for instructions



I keep my collection on display using vintage wooden hangers



My friend Karla makes some fun Flea Market Aprons out of vintage fabrics, including barkcloth. You can view her store here.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RemixedStitches


 found on Etsy are some amazing and beautiful pillows and pillow covers.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SouthendDesign?ref=search_shop_redirect



And a lot of totes and bags using old barkcloth. See more here
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NancyAnneDesigns


I saw this pillow in Minnesota at Hunt & Gather.

Of course you can always make curtains, cover chairs etc.

 So keep your eye out for this nubby fabric with fun designs for your next project. And if the price is good, don't hesitate to purchase.

Chair Project

This old chair was in poor shape. first I used wood glue to secure the layers of plywood as much as possible.
I sprayed it with spray adhesive, pressed the fabric down. Painted with several layers of Mod Podge, Using the same technique I use with my trays. See details here

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin