Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day



All of these items belonged to my Dad. His boyscout handbook, Pilot Log book,
Slide Rules, Camera, Watch (there's a story behind that watch). The framed picture
is of his HAM radio group in College, and the little boy is him as a toddler.



This day is bitter-sweet for me. You see when I was 18 My Father passed away at the age of 39. He had a very short battle with Leukemia. Dad and I did not always have the greatest relationship as I was growing up, but he was always there for me. He never missed an event, cheerleading, choir, Indian Princess (he was the chief), he was even an honorary room father when I was in the 5th grade. He was usually taking pictures and all of these events and I am so blessed that I have all of these pictures. He could be a lot of fun too, I especially remember riding a mini bike in a field on my birthday, and lots of tickle fights.



Dad was many things, a computer pioneer in the 70's, raced motorcycles, and learned to fly both hang-gliders and airplanes, an avid photographer, Woodworker, HAM Radio operator, a genius and a member of MENSA. And he built a business that employed over 200 people at the time of his death.
read about that here




He's been gone for 25 years, I've know life without him more than life with him. However, he was there through all those influential moments of my youth. Dispensing wisdom whether I wanted it or not (I do remember those pearls of wisdom even today). I'm mostly sad that my kids never got to know him, he would have been a wonderful Grandfather. My youngest Son recently said "When I die I want to meet 2 people in heaven. Elija and Your Dad." Wow!! that got me. Here's to you dad, you continue to influence me even though you are not here.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hi Margo,
That is so sad, but nice as well.
What a great dad you had. I'm sure he is still watching over you and yours.
Have a good day,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

this is sad,my heart goes out to all those people on fathers day that have lost thiers.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin